Mariam (Josie) Foundation for Gambia is a registered developmental, non-profit making and non-political/religious affiliated organisation aimed at improving the quality of life for vulnerable people in communities through access to quality and affordable health care, education, access to clean drinking water, and livelihood development projects.
"My dream is to leave a legacy that will enrich others and raise the standard of living for children"
Mariam (Josie) foundation for Gambia was started by Josie Rosie Mariam Hyman who travelled to the Gambia in 2009. She is a passionate change maker whose dream is to improve the livelihood and the living condition of every ordinary Gambian. In her own word she described her experience and her desire to venture in this worthwhile initiative; “I travelled to the Gambia in 2009 and was in admiration with the people there who made me feel welcome. As a young girl I always wanted to travel to Africa and give something back. The country reminded me so much of my childhood growing up in the Caribbean. While on vocation that year I notice that the children in the village were desperately in need of food, clothing and a place they could go to school. I believe that learning is important and we should do all we can to improve a child's future. I made it my mission since then to help in any way I can with fundraising for schools in the village, farming, purchasing school supplies, shoes, clothing and providing other necessities to improve the quality of life”
From its humble beginnings as a community based organization, Mariam(Josie) Foundation for Gambia has grown into a vibrant organisation working with a range of people across multiple sectors. The foundation has a strong track record of fundraising through private donors, and has utilized those funds to sponsored programs and activities in various sectors, catering to the needs of vulnerable communities.
Mariam Josie Foundation for Gambia works for the sustainable development of vulnerable people in the Gambia in other to ensure a quality life through empowerment, education, information, and healthcare services.
Mariam Josie Foundation for Gambia aspires to be the premier development-focused charitable foundation working with a range of people across multiple sectors to build sustainable, healthy and productive communities. Our programs/developments are catered to the needs of vulnerable communities
Mariam Josie Foundation for Gambia works in partnership with communities in the Gambia to achieve healthy and productive societies. We place communities at the center of our development activities as we believe that only through strong communities can Gambia educate, care for and protect its people more especially children and women, promote livelihood development programs of Gambian people and continue to live in peace and harmony.
Mariam Josie Foundation for Gambia is committed to 5 key values in its work and organizational life.
Since last year supporters have helped us to raise over £3000. This was a great result given the tough circumstances we have all been faced with.
Sadly, some of our supporters were unable to continue their support and our donation fell a little.
The good news though is that we were still able to meet our commitments as many of our donors increased your regular financial commitments and responded to our appeals. In addition we received good legacy income, thanks to generous supporters.
Mariam Josie Foundation would like to thank and remember our supporters who are no longer with us due to COVID-19. The foundation will forever be thankful for their contributions and the difference they made.
Last year, for every £1 you gave we spent 99% percent of our donations on our work with vulnerable families and children. The remaining 1% of your donations went towards the cost of petrol to take food to the villages we support or taking children to school who live in remote areas of The Gambia.
With the financial crisis really being felt around the world, we are faced with more challenges than normal over the year, however our committed supporters have remained loyal, helping us maintain a relatively strong position and making a difference for those in desperate need.
As a growing charity we can only pay our volunteers once a year when we there is a large amount of work to be done. We make an effort to pay each of our volunteers at least £10.00 = GMD 708 Gambian Dalasi per month.
Much of the day to day running of the charity is done by our founder Mariam Josie.
Mariam Josie Foundation would like to thank and remember our supporters who are no longer with us due to COVID-19. The foundation will forever be thankful for their contributions and the difference they made for those most in need.